Hello, friend! If you’ve wandered over to this page, it’s probably because you need a little context for my posts. This is understandable. Well, this is me:
To give you some perspective, I’ve compiled a list of important facts for you:
- I judge you when your subjects and verbs don’t agree.
- I love geeky things, like fantasy novels and jokes about science.
- I have an exceptionally short attention span, but it keeps things exciting.
- I really enjoy being active in things like martial arts and fitness even thought I’m incredibly physically awkward.
- I talk a lot. I’m sorry.
- (I’m really not sorry.)
- A large percentage of my conversations are composed of quotes from The Simpsons.
- I fall down a lot. I keep a good attitude about it, though.
- I’m allergic to tomatoes. I’m pretty sad about that whole mess.
- I am an insanely good baker. No foolin’.
- I can be a little cynical at times, but it’s just a front. For more cynicism.
- My student assistant once told me that I should have a business card that reads “Part Time Administrator, Full Time Badass.” It was maybe my favorite compliment ever.
Now, let’s delve into some specifics.
I work full time at an office. A regular, run-of-the-mill office where I go Monday through Friday to remind myself how complete and utter despair feels. Luckily, a few very special people keep my spirit from being entirely crushed. I also have a part time job teaching fitness and self defense classes a few nights a week. Once upon a time, I thought I wanted to be a teacher; being a kickboxing instructor has made me realize that I never want to teach a class where it’s not okay for me to hit my students. Aside from that, I have kung fu practice between 8 and 10 hours a week. My kung fu family is a tight knit group of athletic nerds, and I’m completely and hopelessly in love with all of them. Oh, yeah, and I’m in graduate school for writing. It both challenges and infuriates me, the mark of a worthwhile endeavor.
What’s that? What’s that you say?
REALLY?! I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA THAT MY SCHEDULE IS ABNORMALLY BUSY. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING IT OUT TO ME.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I probably have somewhere I’m supposed to be right now.
ME UPDATE, 12/31/11:
I have officially survived graduate school. With a 4.0 no less! What a boss.
ME UPDATE, 8/27/12:
I have bid my soul crushing office job adieu in order to work in another office that manages to depress me in new and exciting ways, one that is hours away from the comfortable little rut I had nestled myself into. My days are now spent attending to phones and visitors, answering the same three or four questions continuously for 37.5 hours a week. Really, the most challenging parts of my job are taking the incredibly round-about commuter bus that inexplicably takes over an hour to drive 15 miles, and also that I don’t know my coworkers well enough to swear in front of them yet. Luckily, my martial arts connections have provided me with a ready-made kung fu family to help me adjust to this new and totally foreign environment.
It’s not perfect…yet. But what can I say? It’s time for a new adventure.